Let The Companion be your guide as you navigate your first year as a student at City Tech. Our chapters take you step-by-step through everything you need to know to not only survive but thrive as a college student, including info about our campus, tips from successful students, and exercises and activities that will help you plan your budget, manage your time, and maximize your learning.
This fully online version of The Companion takes students step-by-step through everything they need to know to survive and thrive as a college student, including info about the campus, tips from successful students, and exercises and activities that will help students plan a budget, manage their time, and maximize their learning. The Companion can be read straight through, or can be customized by exploring the Table of Contents and jumping to sections as they become interesting and relevant.
- Chapter 1 provides information that is useful at any time but ideal to read before the first semester begins: From registering for classes, to finding their way around campus, to understanding the college grading system and figuring out how to pay for college, this chapter will help students know what to expect and in order to hit the ground running.
- Chapter 2 offers practical advice about setting up a productive college routine, beginning with the very first week of classes.
- Chapter 3 takes a deeper dive into effective learning strategies that will help students not only earn high grades, but also retain knowledge and continue lifelong learning.
- Chapter 4 explores college life beyond the classroom, encouraging students to take advantage of opportunities on campus to connect with fellow students, enjoy shared interests, and develop skills that will help prepare for a successful career.
- Chapter 5 takes students through the second half of the semester, discussing what to expect from midterms to registration for next semester’s classes to final exams. Finally, The Companion ends with a glossary of useful college terms.
The Companion can be read straight through, or you can customize this guide by exploring the Table of Contents and jumping to sections as they become interesting and relevant to you. We hope you’ll enjoy exploring all that City Tech has to offer!